Let’s be real, those summer time holidays aren’t as fun with little ones. Of course they have their moments and everything is special because maybe it’s their first Independence Day or they’re big fans of fireworks. But it gets to a point where all you […]
Oops! I’m not going to lie I forgot what day it was. I took some time out this weekend and stepped away from the blog/social media. I really just needed some space to reflect and center my thoughts. Even though I love Happily In Style and all my website brings to my like sometimes stepping away even for just a weekend can be refreshing. As of Sunday night I was feeling well rested and ready to get back to it, a little time away was just want I needed. Only problem was since I took the weekend off I constantly keep thinking it is the weekend. (isn’t that just the worst!!) Plus I was so focused on sharing my new JORD campaign with everyone (Giveaway can be found here) that my regular blog schedule fell to the waist side. Even worse, I got food poisoning yesterday which really threw me for a loop. So it wasn’t till this morning when I was finally feeling better that I realized I would be publishing my, “Hello Monday!” post on a Wednesday! So while it certainly isn’t Monday I’m still going to give a big HELLO to good ole’ Monday and the week! It may have been a rocky start but I’m ready for the week and the warmer spring weather!
I loved last Monday’s post so m much and from the numbers it seemed like everyone out there did as well. So I’m keeping with that trend and discussing a new trend I’m loving and seeing everywhere. The trend I’m discussing? Platform shoes, not just any platform shoe, the wooden platform Oxford. I’m a big fan of Oxford shoes and am constantly buying them for my husband. There’s something about seeing a man pair Oxford shoes with dark denim and a nice button that I just love. They can complete any men’s wear look and now you can find them in a platform version for women (#winning)
This new twist on a classic men’s piece embodies everything fun and flirty about spring and in my opinion they’re a “must-have” for anyones spring wardrobe. The question is can I pull these babies off? I desperately want to test a pair out but I’m nervous. You’ll just have to wait and see if I take the plunge into this trend or not! Until then check out a few of my favorite styles as inspiration for your own spring wardrobe! Happy Monday….I meannn, Wednesday, Happy Wednesday 😂
I’m thinking it’s time we all started investing a little more time and energy into OURSELVES. Of course I’ve been outspoken about skin care, especially as we embark into the spring leaving winter in the dust! I can’t stress enough how important it is to invest in […]
What a month its been for our little Bodhi Bear, he’s accomplished many firsts recently and we couldn’t be prouder. We’ve even been lucky enough to witness a lot of his firsts together on our trip to Hawaii. A lot of Gunnar’s first were at […]
Wow, two months with my little Bodhi blue. I can’t believe it honestly. It feels like ever since he arrived things have moved at a very rapid pace. Maybe its been all the running around that fall can bring or maybe its just that with two little ones moments go by so much quicker. We are a little over a week away from celebrating his first Halloween a memory I won’t soon forget, his just major holiday. Oh, I’m SO excited to share his Halloween costume with you guys. Soon we will be caving pumpkins and carting Gunnie around for his first trick-or-treating experience and while I haven’t decided if it will be warm enough for Bodhi I am excited for all the fun to start! In only two shorts months we’ve definitely built a lot of those, long-lasting memories and even though he won’t remember them Gunnie, Sam and I will.
Favorite Memories Thus Far:
- His first smile is a favorite of mine and it happened just when I needed it the most. I haven’t been shy about my postpartum experience. It has been a little difficult to cope with my hormone levels changing as they do after pregnancy and I’m experiencing some anxiety because of it. I remember one time in particular where I was finding it hard to just breath and get through it. Gunnar was destroying the house, Bodhi was crying for more milk and probably from exhaustion because lets me honest who can sleep in a house with a banshee two-year old. There I was feeling a combination of emotions, including fear, anxiety, angry and sadness. I went over to Bodhi’s crib to get him for his feeding when all of a sudden he stopped crying. In that same moment I looked up to see Gunnar had calmed down and was sitting peacefully coloring in one of his books. Finally I could breath again. When I looked back down at Bodhi there it was, an enormous smile that could brighten even the darkest night. I melted, not only did I melt but so did all of my anxiety and fear.
- We took the boys to the pumpkin patch this past Sunday and of course who could miss Gunnie having so much fun in the dirt and mud with his Thomas the Tank. We saw sheep and goats and little wiener dogs race (yes you read that right, our town is full of interesting traditions 😂) While all of this was going on, little Bodhi aka Mr.Particular was staring out into the crowd with a look of annoyance and disgusted that was truly a sight to be seen. In that moment he was more I knew, he was just like his daddy. He and he father are both very happy and inviting people but just like his father if he isn’t feeling it, you know! Getting to see his personality traits and who he may be more like is a fun experience.
- Any and every moment when Gunnar and Bodhi are together. Gunnar LOVES his little brother so much that we actually have to tell him to chill a little when it comes to touching him. I hate to even tell him not to touch Bodhi but Gunnie’s favorite spot to touch him has become the soft spot on the top of his head. So yeahh telling him “no” is a must at this point.
- The moment I got to dress him in his Halloween costume and of course this outfit shown both above and in a few action shots below. The amount of faces and emotions this little babe has at only 2 months old is a sure sign he’s an old soul. And right about now that old soul is probably wonder, “Why in god’s name did I pick this family, this woman is NUTS. What am I wearing?!” 😂
So there you have another month with our little pumpkin 🎃 Below you can see a few of those faces I was talking about!!!
So after lots of trial and error I’ve finally concocted a chickpea burger I am happy with! I’ve been craving these babies for a while but every time I would try to make my own they just fell short. Either they wouldn’t stay together or the taste was blah. After added the carrots and the lemon zest to off set the peanut butter I think I’ve found something pretty amazing!
- 1 carrot (medium-large size grated)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper (we prefer fresh ground)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
Peel the carrot and then grate it coarsely and place it a bowl. Zest the lemon and place the zest in the bowl with the carrot.
Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place them in a bowl and add the spices, salt and pepper. Mash together with spoon or “L” shaped spatula to create a rough paste. You may need to use a spoon to push some of the mixture into the processor to combine. Then add the carrot, lemon zest egg, and flour and process just a little bit until evenly combined but slightly rugged.
Add the coconut oil to the frying pan and heat it over low-medium heat.
As the coconut oil heats, take your paste and make 4 large “burgers” or 8 small “burgers”. Place the burgers on a plate as the pan heats.
Once the coconut oil is heated, add the burgers to the pan and turn the heat to medium. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to fry in batches. Heat the burgers for 6-7 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.