I am definitely not that from the garden, food-processing kinda mama. As you all know I’ve tirelessly tried to be that mama but alas I’m not. With such a heavy work load it just isn’t happening. For those reading that are I think you’re amazing! (send me your tips). […]
Oh wow hey there September, where did you come from? I must admit I enjoyed my month off. I dubbed August as the month of self love. If you hadn’t guessed I turned my month of self love into a vacation from writing. Even though I don’t think of what I do at Happily In Style as work, it is time consuming and sometimes a break is needed. So I took the month off from being on my A game and just experienced life. If you follow me on Instagram you know the month was good to me and I’ve had a great end to summer. Now it’s time to get back to it! And there’s no better way to get back into the swing of things then talking about FOOD! Gunny recently started Pre-K, did I celebrate being toddler free for a few hours YES! What kind of mama would I be if I didn’t. Did I cry after an hour of being without him, maybe, but that isn’t the point of this post. As a new mom to the school routine I’ve come to realize I’m really bad at coming up with creative snack and lunch options for this little banshee.
Snacks haven’t always been my “thing”. I know small meals including snacks throughout the day are good for you but my body feels sluggish throughout the day if I have more than three meals and maybe a snack. So I’ve always stayed away from things like mid-morning snacks and late afternoon pick me ups my whole life. I also am the little siblings so there was no one else around to get snack ideas from. So once G started school that mentality changed drastically. I went from a zero snack household to scrambling for ideas. Obviously Pinterest has lots of unrealistic options for a working mom. I couldn’t even tell you all the times I’ve tried and failed to put together ants on a log (he hated it) or Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Enchilada Meatloaf Muffins . Good luck with that one, I made mush, it was good mush but still…did not look like the picture.
Don’t get me wrong I strive for organic home cooked meals but its way easier to make those meatloaf concoctions when you have one or NO child running around. With two it’s nearly impossible so until I don’t have to keep a watchful eye on Bodhi, or my floor food eater as I’ve renamed him I’ll be sticking with healthy E A S Y options. Below I’ve added a few tips I’ve learned in the past two weeks of being a mom who has snacks. Feel free to share your tips for snacking health with little ones in the comment section so I can steal them.
-Turkey Roll Ups-
- Organic Strawberries – Bodhi’s favorite for the texture and they soothe his gums when a new tooth comes in. I always stick with organic because strawberries are the dirtiest fruit. It’s hard to get all the pesticides off of them so sticking with organic on these guys is always the way to go.
- Red Grapes – I like to freeze grapes and turn them into a fun snack for G when it’s hot out.
- Guacamole & pretzels – This is one of the easiest after school snacks. Usually G is worn out after school and he can get cranky. This snack always gives him a little extra boost without filling him up too much before dinner.
- Babybel Cheese Wheels – I’m convinced these little gems were created by a mom. I don’t bring them out until we are in complete meltdown mode. We’ve all been there you’ve had a long day at work or at home. You and your children are on two completely different levels and your patience is at a zero. This is when the Babybel comes out. Trust me just try it. You’ll be amazed about how much food shaped like a circle comforts them.
- Apples & caramel – This one is seasonal, sometimes I’ll get strawberries and whipped cream or pretzels and melted chocolate. But I always make sure I have a reward snack. Something that I give them if they are acting like the little gentlemen I hope they’ll be while we’re out and about. Sam and I have realized you really do have to reward their good behavior. Even when it’s just sharing a toy with his little brother, if we reward G for all those little things that add up in the end. Or so we like to think.
Let’s be real, those summer time holidays aren’t as fun with little ones. Of course they have their moments and everything is special because maybe it’s their first Independence Day or they’re big fans of fireworks. But it gets to a point where all you […]
Oops! I’m not going to lie I forgot what day it was. I took some time out this weekend and stepped away from the blog/social media. I really just needed some space to reflect and center my thoughts. Even though I love Happily In Style and all my website brings to my like sometimes stepping away even for just a weekend can be refreshing. As of Sunday night I was feeling well rested and ready to get back to it, a little time away was just want I needed. Only problem was since I took the weekend off I constantly keep thinking it is the weekend. (isn’t that just the worst!!) Plus I was so focused on sharing my new JORD campaign with everyone (Giveaway can be found here) that my regular blog schedule fell to the waist side. Even worse, I got food poisoning yesterday which really threw me for a loop. So it wasn’t till this morning when I was finally feeling better that I realized I would be publishing my, “Hello Monday!” post on a Wednesday! So while it certainly isn’t Monday I’m still going to give a big HELLO to good ole’ Monday and the week! It may have been a rocky start but I’m ready for the week and the warmer spring weather!
I loved last Monday’s post so m much and from the numbers it seemed like everyone out there did as well. So I’m keeping with that trend and discussing a new trend I’m loving and seeing everywhere. The trend I’m discussing? Platform shoes, not just any platform shoe, the wooden platform Oxford. I’m a big fan of Oxford shoes and am constantly buying them for my husband. There’s something about seeing a man pair Oxford shoes with dark denim and a nice button that I just love. They can complete any men’s wear look and now you can find them in a platform version for women (#winning)
This new twist on a classic men’s piece embodies everything fun and flirty about spring and in my opinion they’re a “must-have” for anyones spring wardrobe. The question is can I pull these babies off? I desperately want to test a pair out but I’m nervous. You’ll just have to wait and see if I take the plunge into this trend or not! Until then check out a few of my favorite styles as inspiration for your own spring wardrobe! Happy Monday….I meannn, Wednesday, Happy Wednesday 😂
I’m thinking it’s time we all started investing a little more time and energy into OURSELVES. Of course I’ve been outspoken about skin care, especially as we embark into the spring leaving winter in the dust! I can’t stress enough how important it is to invest in […]
What a month its been for our little Bodhi Bear, he’s accomplished many firsts recently and we couldn’t be prouder. We’ve even been lucky enough to witness a lot of his firsts together on our trip to Hawaii. A lot of Gunnar’s first were at […]
Wow, two months with my little Bodhi blue. I can’t believe it honestly. It feels like ever since he arrived things have moved at a very rapid pace. Maybe its been all the running around that fall can bring or maybe its just that with two little ones moments go by so much quicker. We are a little over a week away from celebrating his first Halloween a memory I won’t soon forget, his just major holiday. Oh, I’m SO excited to share his Halloween costume with you guys. Soon we will be caving pumpkins and carting Gunnie around for his first trick-or-treating experience and while I haven’t decided if it will be warm enough for Bodhi I am excited for all the fun to start! In only two shorts months we’ve definitely built a lot of those, long-lasting memories and even though he won’t remember them Gunnie, Sam and I will.
Favorite Memories Thus Far:
- His first smile is a favorite of mine and it happened just when I needed it the most. I haven’t been shy about my postpartum experience. It has been a little difficult to cope with my hormone levels changing as they do after pregnancy and I’m experiencing some anxiety because of it. I remember one time in particular where I was finding it hard to just breath and get through it. Gunnar was destroying the house, Bodhi was crying for more milk and probably from exhaustion because lets me honest who can sleep in a house with a banshee two-year old. There I was feeling a combination of emotions, including fear, anxiety, angry and sadness. I went over to Bodhi’s crib to get him for his feeding when all of a sudden he stopped crying. In that same moment I looked up to see Gunnar had calmed down and was sitting peacefully coloring in one of his books. Finally I could breath again. When I looked back down at Bodhi there it was, an enormous smile that could brighten even the darkest night. I melted, not only did I melt but so did all of my anxiety and fear.
- We took the boys to the pumpkin patch this past Sunday and of course who could miss Gunnie having so much fun in the dirt and mud with his Thomas the Tank. We saw sheep and goats and little wiener dogs race (yes you read that right, our town is full of interesting traditions 😂) While all of this was going on, little Bodhi aka Mr.Particular was staring out into the crowd with a look of annoyance and disgusted that was truly a sight to be seen. In that moment he was more I knew, he was just like his daddy. He and he father are both very happy and inviting people but just like his father if he isn’t feeling it, you know! Getting to see his personality traits and who he may be more like is a fun experience.
- Any and every moment when Gunnar and Bodhi are together. Gunnar LOVES his little brother so much that we actually have to tell him to chill a little when it comes to touching him. I hate to even tell him not to touch Bodhi but Gunnie’s favorite spot to touch him has become the soft spot on the top of his head. So yeahh telling him “no” is a must at this point.
- The moment I got to dress him in his Halloween costume and of course this outfit shown both above and in a few action shots below. The amount of faces and emotions this little babe has at only 2 months old is a sure sign he’s an old soul. And right about now that old soul is probably wonder, “Why in god’s name did I pick this family, this woman is NUTS. What am I wearing?!” 😂
So there you have another month with our little pumpkin 🎃 Below you can see a few of those faces I was talking about!!!