Okay I’m going to honest here for a minute, very honest. I find myself eye rolling the month of October every year. October is home to many awareness campaigns. Breast Cancer Awareness, Dyslexia Awareness, Mental Health Awareness to name a few. It also happens to […]
I don’t know about the rest of you but I grew up with penny loafers. My mom and aunts all wore them and even my brother wore them when he went to Catholic school. The shoe itself is versatile and wearable for both men and women. As I got older I would see a few of my favorite bloggers rock loafers, even before they came back in style. I always felt like I couldn’t pull them off until recently. I’m trying to adopt a new mentality. “This is simple, this is easy, this is fun.” My mother-in-law showed me this video of a man named, Kerwin Rae (awesome name) talking about how we as people let our brains tell us what to do when it should really be the other way around. This statement and the meaning behind it, are meant for things on a grander scale then my shoe problem. But I’m using it in every aspect of my life. For the full video click the quote above!
So by this mentality I decided I’d try a pair. You don’t know how something will look on you till you actually try. And if it was a total fail I knew I’d have a few friends I could hand them over to. Results? I love them! They are so comfortable and to my surprise go with everything. It’s a fun way to add a little something extra to a look. I feel like loafers are surprisingly a flirty chic meets masculine flare kinda style and it adds something totally new to my wardrobe. Today I paired them with cut off shorts and a chartreuse knit I’ve recently become obsessed with from J.Crew. Below I’ve supplied a few styles to turn your own wardrobe into flirty chic.
Oh wow hey there September, where did you come from? I must admit I enjoyed my month off. I dubbed August as the month of self love. If you hadn’t guessed I turned my month of self love into a vacation from writing. Even though I don’t think of what I do at Happily In Style as work, it is time consuming and sometimes a break is needed. So I took the month off from being on my A game and just experienced life. If you follow me on Instagram you know the month was good to me and I’ve had a great end to summer. Now it’s time to get back to it! And there’s no better way to get back into the swing of things then talking about FOOD! Gunny recently started Pre-K, did I celebrate being toddler free for a few hours YES! What kind of mama would I be if I didn’t. Did I cry after an hour of being without him, maybe, but that isn’t the point of this post. As a new mom to the school routine I’ve come to realize I’m really bad at coming up with creative snack and lunch options for this little banshee.
Snacks haven’t always been my “thing”. I know small meals including snacks throughout the day are good for you but my body feels sluggish throughout the day if I have more than three meals and maybe a snack. So I’ve always stayed away from things like mid-morning snacks and late afternoon pick me ups my whole life. I also am the little siblings so there was no one else around to get snack ideas from. So once G started school that mentality changed drastically. I went from a zero snack household to scrambling for ideas. Obviously Pinterest has lots of unrealistic options for a working mom. I couldn’t even tell you all the times I’ve tried and failed to put together ants on a log (he hated it) or Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Enchilada Meatloaf Muffins . Good luck with that one, I made mush, it was good mush but still…did not look like the picture.
Don’t get me wrong I strive for organic home cooked meals but its way easier to make those meatloaf concoctions when you have one or NO child running around. With two it’s nearly impossible so until I don’t have to keep a watchful eye on Bodhi, or my floor food eater as I’ve renamed him I’ll be sticking with healthy E A S Y options. Below I’ve added a few tips I’ve learned in the past two weeks of being a mom who has snacks. Feel free to share your tips for snacking health with little ones in the comment section so I can steal them.
-Turkey Roll Ups-
- Organic Strawberries – Bodhi’s favorite for the texture and they soothe his gums when a new tooth comes in. I always stick with organic because strawberries are the dirtiest fruit. It’s hard to get all the pesticides off of them so sticking with organic on these guys is always the way to go.
- Red Grapes – I like to freeze grapes and turn them into a fun snack for G when it’s hot out.
- Guacamole & pretzels – This is one of the easiest after school snacks. Usually G is worn out after school and he can get cranky. This snack always gives him a little extra boost without filling him up too much before dinner.
- Babybel Cheese Wheels – I’m convinced these little gems were created by a mom. I don’t bring them out until we are in complete meltdown mode. We’ve all been there you’ve had a long day at work or at home. You and your children are on two completely different levels and your patience is at a zero. This is when the Babybel comes out. Trust me just try it. You’ll be amazed about how much food shaped like a circle comforts them.
- Apples & caramel – This one is seasonal, sometimes I’ll get strawberries and whipped cream or pretzels and melted chocolate. But I always make sure I have a reward snack. Something that I give them if they are acting like the little gentlemen I hope they’ll be while we’re out and about. Sam and I have realized you really do have to reward their good behavior. Even when it’s just sharing a toy with his little brother, if we reward G for all those little things that add up in the end. Or so we like to think.
Okay so ALL of my July posts have been delayed. I’m so sorry to all of my readers but to be honest I was just enjoying July. No excuses, no real reason, well actually there were two pint size reasons. Those reasons just so happen to be named G and Bodhi (still can’t think of a nickname for that one). So again sorry for the delay I know I’ve been a bad blogger but come on we all deserve some chill time now and again. We are finally getting back into the swing of things as our house. It’s crazy to me because I feel like traveling with little ones can make a 3 day vacation feel like a month-long vacation. With all the extra food, clothing and money you need to bring for those unknown moments. Don’t get me wrong I love traveling and thanks to my parents I spent more than half of my life traveling. But it is so nice to get home and just sort things out.
I have so much coming for you guys I’ve given sneak peeks here and there on Happily In Style’s Instagram feed, so if you haven’t already, go check it out! For now I’ll be over here picking out a new washer and dryer, cleaning my appliances and planning a birthday party for a certain soon to be one year old! Oh the adventures of parenting and being a homeowner, so thrilling! Happy Tuesday loves!
- Now I know if you’re following a couple of bloggers you know Nordstrom is having its anniversary sale. I’ll I’m going to do it supply the early access sale link here. The sale officially starts July 20th but if you have a Nordstrom’s credit card you can shop the sale NOW! I’m on a spending freeze so I haven’t done any shopping. Of course normally I would still supply my picks but I have a 1st birthday party to plan and cannot afford to fall of the wagon what so ever! Mama is on a budget!
- I’m seriously obsessed with this one. Soul Tattoos are something I actually found late last night while I was rocking Bodhi back to sleep. The idea is, you have a reading done, be it with tarot cards or palms and the person reading you aka Ashley, helps you decide on a tattoo that best represents your soul. I’ve always wanted a tattoo but I’ve never found anything truly meaningful. I came once while we were in Hawaii, it was the place where I really started to understand and accept my postpartum depression and anxiety. Once I did that I was able to work on the issues I was having and move forward. I was so grateful for the trip and on the last day I could have easily gotten one to remember that journey. But I felt it was such a personal journey that I wasn’t quiet ready to share with the world. Instead I kicked the idea to the curb and kept growing through what I was going through. So something like this, especially with where I am today might be right. I feel as though I’m starting to turn a curve and land myself in a better place. A more positive space, a pace I once called home. *fingers crossed*
- My new favorite local site! My best friend is due with her first baby any day now and I wanted to get her something special. I found this site filled with stuff any philly native would appreciate, including onesies for that philly baby in your life!!
- As always I’m gifting you with this weeks Refinery29 Horoscopes! Some may think they are fake or hogwash but I like to think of horoscopes as a way to gain a different prespective of the up and coming week.
–Meg’s Motto of The Week–
All of it just all of it!!!
So for this installment of Links & Things I wanted to talk a little bit about a new collaboration of mine. Influenster is a site dedicated to getting real reviews from real people and bloggers like myself. Now everything I have received was free and I am under no obligation to say I LOVED anything if I didn’t actually love it. All my opinions are my own.
- LashFood BrowFood – This was an interesting product, I have never touched my eyebrows before and I don’t really like to mess with them much. I’m blessed with “okay” eyebrows personally I love them the way they are and don’t add anything to make them fuller. With that being said I thought the product was good, if we are doing a 0-10 rating I’d give it a 8. The instructions are super easy to understand especially for an eyebrow amateur like myself!
- Sigma Face Powder and Brush – Sigma has amazing brushes so when I opened the box and found one inside I jumped. I may not be the most make up savvy lady but I know good brushes. With sensitive skin like mine a bad brush can lead to irritated skin. The color is gorgeous, it adds a little extra something to any look, be it casual or dressed up!
- Julep Boost Your Radiance Rosehip Seed Facial Oil – If you’ve followed along from the beginning you know that I’m an oils girl. Believe me when I say this baby is a true 10. Morning, noon, or even night if I’m feeling stressed or just need a little extra boost all I do it throw some of this on, take a deep breath and am good to go!
- Aquis Luxe Hair Towel – I always down for a good towel. Half top knots have become my favorite casual go-to but they have really hurt your hair if you do them while your hair is went. Same thing goes for when doing that towel head dress move, we all do right after stepping out of the shower. Until receiving the hair towel I never realized how much I was damaging my hair. You can feel a difference in your hair right away when using the Aquis Luxe Hair Towel.
- Quidad Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Shampoo & Conditioner – I have extremely frizzy hair. It is the reason why I never really do my hair in the summer. I usually go with a more natural look because curling it creates more frizz. Straightening it creates more frizz, literally using any extra product can either make it frizzier or super oily. I have to be careful with that I put in my hair. Originally I had this set idea that the Ouidad wasn’t going to work with my hair. From the moment I opened the shampoo I was surprised. It smelled amazing and was light on my hair. Once dry my hair was shiny and well-mannered something that was normally lacking from my locks. This ones a total 1-0!
- Dermalogica Stress Positive Eye Lift – Say hello to my new best friend. I’ve dealt with an unhealthy amount of stress lately. Some of which has finally come to a head and ended. I’ve discussed it a smidgen in a letter addressed to my boys about being kind. Thankfully it seems to have ended and I can finally return to normalcy. But I’m still dealing with bits of paranoia and worriment, even though things seem to have ended, it seems that it takes longer for certain parts of our brains to catch the news. So until I can just chill and get rolling with positive living again I’ll be using this beauty. It fits perfectly in your purse, clutch or carry-on and has the perfect applicator attached for a no mess vibe. I struggle greatly with puffy eyes especially in the morning and when I’m stressed, so it feels like this one was made for me.
Let’s be real, those summer time holidays aren’t as fun with little ones. Of course they have their moments and everything is special because maybe it’s their first Independence Day or they’re big fans of fireworks. But it gets to a point where all you […]