Y’all know I love to talk skin care and of course with the holidays coming up I’m all about giving skin care products as gifts. They are a great gift for anyone and in my opinion it’s a truly meaningful gift because we all want […]
Let me start by saying I know how confusing that title was but it was literally exactly how I felt about this post. Recently there’s been some uproar in the blogger community about the all holy Instagram. Long story short, they’ve decided to screw over hundreds of thousands of bloggers by making it impossible for hard-working bloggers to get you the readers to see their content on the app itself. It’s a combination of things, none of which I care about. I’m not going to go in detail because I’m sure like me you’ve seen many articles written about the topic. I’m sure whoever wrote those pieces did it justice so no need for me to waste my time.
Back to me, so in the middle of all of this I had just celebrated my third anniversary for Happily In Style and I was starting to gain steam and the pace was picking up. Then those pesky little changes happened and things flatten out again. After a summer of an on again, off again relationship with the social media platform, I felt a sense of renewal. I had new content and collaborations with companies that really worked with my personal beliefs. Yet the platform itself seemed to have taken on a mind of its own. From fake accounts, to “pods”, people were finding any and every way to make it look as though business was moving alone as usual. But as any blogger knows you can spot the signs that likes are being bought and posts are only being engaged with my fellow bloggers very clearly. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not one to call anyone out, we all do things our own way. But personally that isn’t how I operate.
So what’s a girl to do when the game changes? In this case I changed my perspective. And now I’ll let you in on a little secret. I now use Instagram all w r o n g and no, I don’t care. When faced with an obstacle I first like to take stock of how I feel about it. Does this obstacle scare me, hurt me, make me angry? Once I find my answer I then work on a plan to remove or work with said obstacle. In this case the obstacle was the new wave of fake likes and follows and competing with a cheating “competition”. How did I feel about it? Well to answer truthfully I didn’t care, at all and I still don’t. One of my favorite motto in life was said to me by my mama, “Don’t compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to the you, you were yesterday.” Simply put, you are your only concern, don’t worry so much about what others are doing.
So what do you do when almost everyone around you is working the system? Just have fun, play the game for the fun of it not the fame. Which was how I’ve operated since day one. The only difference from the first day I post on Instagram to now is this, I’ve kinda thrown any and all rules out the window. I want to be happy and my blog makes me happy, Instagram is just one piece of the puzzle but it isn’t the whole thing. My be all to end all are the boys, my husband, and our lives together. So if you’ve notice a lower like count don’t be alarmed I just stopped working around the “prefect time to post” or I’m not liking a million other bloggers photos because I feel like I have to. I’m just focusing on living my best life and writing my best posts. Likes are great but they aren’t happiness and I’m pretty sure none of you are counting so I won’t either. ?
This right here is why I love Happily In Style so much, not only do I get to put out content that hopefully my readers (you) are interested in but this journey has taught me a lot. It has been one to help me grow as a human. Instagram and other social media platforms like it, are not the key to your or my happiness. For me it is a portfolio a place for me to showcase what I do, for others it may be a place where you store your family memories. That doesn’t mean it needs to make or break your day. Not caring about social media has actually taught me how to care about what is important in life and doing is the “right” way. Really there is no right way but to do everything with love and happiness. Below I’ve put together a list of moments and activities that just make me happy. In the comment section please feel free to let me know any activities that make YOU happy!
- Nature Walks, I love to be in the middle of nowhere with the birds and soaking up the fresh crispy fall air. Go outside. Take a deep breath. Recognize all the sounds around you and really take in the fresh air and how is feels. Appreciate how lucky you are to just be you.?
- Mediate, I suggest you visualize yourself inhaling the light, and then exhaling the dark. Now close your eyes, and continue to inhale and exhale. Do this a few times to get your rthym down.
- Break a sweat. Personally I’m a big believer in the power of dance but whether you prefer to dance, walk, skip jump or maybe even swim a lap or two just make sure you are moving! Breaking a sweat can help get those endorphins flowing, so get moving!
- Be grateful and count your blessing. It can really be difficult to shake those bad vibes but if you just really try to focus on all the things you are grateful for in your life you can also prevent them! I like to write a list of everything/everyone I’m grateful for in my life.
- Work on and build Happily In Style and the community I reach…
- Organize (Or at least trying to organize)
- Yoga and Mediation classes with Gunnar. G loves yoga and it is honestly the only time I can get him to calm down.
- Spend quality time with family and friends, especially during the holiday seasons.
- Buy fresh flowers for my home, Bells of Ireland and Silver Dollar Eucalyptus being two of my favs
- Sharing my adventures as a new mom.
- Building lasting family memories with the boys that we can look back on together.
- Cooking, I’m so excited for November because I plan on cooking at least one thanksgiving meal a week in preparation for our big Thanksgiving feast. It will be my first time cooking a big dinner like this so wish me luck!
- Velvet flats or any one of my J.Crew shoes
- Picnics in the living room with the whole family. Which was tonights main event if you’ve looked at my Insta. ?
- Have date nights especially if succulent DIY sessions are involved!
- Taking tons of photos!
- Light a candle and setting up a relaxing spa like ambiance for myself after a long day at work or after a long day of moming
- Hot Maple Toddies are a holiday favorite of mine. Once the weather turns and I can get the boys down peacefully I tend to make these guys for a nice little night-cap for Sam and I. Click the link for my favorite recipe.
I am definitely not that from the garden, food-processing kinda mama. As you all know I’ve tirelessly tried to be that mama but alas I’m not. With such a heavy work load it just isn’t happening. For those reading that are I think you’re amazing! (send me your tips). […]
Button-ups are always a great option but until recently I didn’t really know what to do with them besides just throwing one on. The thing I particularly love about a button up is that you can rock it multiple ways. I always see women wearing them multiple ways and they always look classic AF. You could even own just one and you’d be good to go. While I do own several button-up tops, I never felt like I could pull them off until now.
My 5 ways to rock it:
All the way up to the neck and tucked in: Button it all the way up, but this time, tuck it in. I always think this gives a bit more of a preppy vibe. I personally like this look for the office, but, it could be worn whenever and wherever! (Image Link)
All the way up tucked in + necklace: Again button it all the way up, tuck it into a skirt of high waist jean. Add a little sparkle by pairing it with a chucky necklace or big earrings! You’ll feel super girly and confident all day long. (Image Link)
Unbuttoned (a bit) + tucked in: unbutton the top 3 buttons. Feeling sexy? You can go for a deeper V. I happen to think that women with smaller chests can rock this. If you are larger in this area , it can often turn from classy to trashy. My best advice for busty girls is to pair a lacey tank underneath. You’ll still be sexy while feeling less trashy and more classy! Overall, I think it’s best to keep this look super clean. Simple. Tuck the shirt into a pant, jean, or skirt. I’d even opt for no earrings and stick with a dainty necklace. (Image Link)
Unbuttoned: Keep the shirt open, completely. If you are wearing jeans or high waisted short skirt, wear a basic tank underneath. You can choose whether to keep it out or tuck it in. I prefer a longer necklace with this look. (Image Link)
The Cheat: So this is has always been one of my favorite ways to rock a “button-up”. It’s really a cheat because it isn’t actually a button up. It’s a plaid henley and you literally just throw one on with a pair of jeans a go. (Image Link)
My last post was a little heavy, I know. It was something I’ve been wanted to put out there for a while now. I feel like if sharing my story helps one mama coup with her own miscarriage then I’ve done my job. To bring […]