If you follow my Instagram account for the blog than you know, I’m taking a much-needed break from social media aka Instagram and Facebook. The break is truly for my sanity, and to be perfectly honest I’m really battling with my postpartum anxiety again. To […]
Month: June 2017
Joanna Gaines did it, Lucille Ball, Julia Roberts and countless other women before me have done it. They brought their children to office with them every day. I mean just stick a pack-n-play right next to you and hustle kinda deal. I know a lot of women might read that and think, “Wow, how lucky is she!?” But trust me it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Now I know a lot of you are going to tell me to be quite and just be grateful that I get the opportunity. But you only see if from the outside, and well like most people we all think everything is perfect on the other side of the street.
Well, I’m going to be real with you, no ones perfect and just because I bring my children to work with me doesn’t mean I have to spend every single day feeling grateful. Of course I’m happy with my life and where we are at the moment but if we didn’t have things to work on well then life would just be boring. So be honest some days everything just sucks, it’s not always some beautiful bonding experience between baby and mother that I’ll show on my Instagram feed. I have to shh them all the time, especially when they are trying to ask me questions in the middle of a call. I have to ignore them when they say they want to go outside and play because we can’t go outside we can’t even leave the one room.
They don’t actually get to do anything of value, in fact they get the worst part of me. There are days where I’m so frustrated I just want to throw my computer against a wall. It is a constant battle between my career and motherhood. And while that is all true of course I’m grateful to be able to witness their first steps, hear their first words and see their smiling faces. But I can’t help but wonder what do they get? Somedays I answer with nothing, nothing but a stressed out mush of woman who won’t play with them.
Okay, okay I know a lot of the above was a little pity party thrown by me for exclusively me, myself and I. But it needed to be said, I guess what I’m trying to spit out is, we as moms are all struggling. Whether you’re a working mom or a SAHM or a new mom just learning the ropes, it isn’t easy. But it isn’t supposed to be. Recently I received a private message from a fellow mama asking me what my secret is and how do I make it looks so easy. I cried, I honestly cried when I read it, I don’t want to be that person for my readers. I don’t want to be another mama faking it for products and endorsements. For the past two years I’ve put myself out there to show that its okay to not be perfect and it seems like I’m not doing such a great job of that.
So I’m going to make a promise to all of you that I’ll try to keep up with my most authentic self. But only if you make a promise that next time you see a mom on Instagram, or in person and everything looks perfect and her kids are well behaved just remember this. Either, A.) She just got done screaming at them, B.)They are having a good day (you’ve had those we all have let her be) or C.) She’s taken 4 years of photography and has like 250 photos from that one moment, and only 1 of those 250 photos was an actual winner. Point is ladies, we need to stop being so hard on ourselves, stop with the comparisons and the competition and let each other live. Our kids don’t actually care how much money we make or that you’ve told them to be quite while you’re on a conference call. Most likely they are just going to keep talking anyway. Just remember you’re doing a great job and to them those moments where you feel like your hair is about to fall out are some of the most magical moments to them.
So I know its been a couple weeks since I’ve posted my series, “Hello Mondays”. There are a couple of reasons most of which are just noise in the background. Mainly I’ve felt a little challenged by my own thoughts lately. I was struggling every week, I had so many great links I wanted to share. At the same time I also had trending fashion content that it became impossible to decide. At first I couldn’t figure out what to do, I couldn’t do two series I have zero time between product tests/reviews ( check back for a little something, something) and mama duties. So getting two series together every week just wouldn’t work. That’s when it hit me I’d like to share everything I’ve got with you, right? So why not do it all at once!
I present to you my first Links & Things post, this will be a combination of trend, sales, links, recipes etc. that I’m loving this week. So basically it’s a combination of the originally “Links I’m Loving” and “Hello Mondays”. If it didn’t take time it wouldn’t be worth it, so finally I’ve come up with a model and I’m sticking to it!
To start I’m sharing my favorite links!
- So to kick off June I’ve supplied a list of must haves for Dad! I’m so excited for Father’s Day and in the post I open up about our past years struggles and how I’m getting Sammy something great without breaking the bank!
- I love this! A quiz to determine what zodiac you were meant to be. I consider myself a true blue Taurus mama but I always have people as me if I’m an Aquarius or a Pisces but believe it or not I got Gemini! Check it out for yourself…
- I just finished redoing the dinning area in our kitchen. I’m not quiet ready for the big reveal just yet (check back for a post probably next week) but I LOVE the results from the last redo that I’ve already started on our bedroom. To help me stay on focus I’ve been searching for article after article of helpful tips and tricks on sprucing up a bedroom .
- Um I’m sorry but to anyone who is a true J.Crew fan then the fact that they have a new CEO is hella important. Let’s all pray that James Brett can fill those oh so stylish shoes. Do I smell a future J.Crew home decor line?! **fingers crossed**
- I was just talking to my trainer about how Sammy and I met and it really made me start to miss our wedding. Everything from the tea light dance floor to our delicious rum cake!
Meg’s Motto Of The Week
(Click the pic for more from Snorgtees!)
Trend Do’s and Don’t
- Do – Rock a wide legged pant but make sure to avoid patterns/stripes for a look that will last longer than the trend.
- Don’t – Go for ripped jeans this summer, I know I hate saying it and of course there’s always the perfect occasion for a tee and ripped jeans. But I feel as though this look has been sat on the bench for the summer. Instead stick with a raw edge denim shorts. Or go to the opposite end of the spectrum and style a cleaner, chic look with a simple clean-cut short, maybe even take this opportunity to bring in a fun and bold pattern.
- Do – Keep your summer look simple and sweet. A bold lip is always fun but sometimes it can be over done. Switch it up with a nude and natural look. Let your sun-kissed skin glow with a hint of peachy lip gloss and a touch of mascara!
- Don’t – Forget to wear that SPF. If you do follow my lead and go for a natural look don’t forget to pack on the skin protection! I add it into my concealer so when I go for a more natural look I tend to forget that I’ve gone without my SPF so I’m reminding myself with this one as well!
- Do – Pack on the accessories. The more cross bodies the better ladies. What was trending this time last year hasn’t really faded into the background. If anything these trends have been even more amped up! (Check out all my “do” pieces below)