Recently I fell in love, as a true Taurus, I fell for a cardigan from Anthropologie. These days I’m mostly sticking with comfort when planing my wardrobe. Things like stilettos and high-waisted jeans are not my go-to’s for now. It’s not that I wouldn’t wear such items but […]
Month: January 2017
Bodhi and G are the same when it comes to a lot of things. The both love banana everything, they love to talk, move and are very curious creatures. They also share another love in common. One that I’ll admit I could do without. They love to NOT sleep. Both of them fight it. In the beginning it was difficult. Having a new baby and a toddler that won’t sleep wasn’t one of those precious memories early motherhood is all about. We thought we had tried everything, from mood lighting to ocean sounds and lets not forget everything lavender if it had anything to do with a sleeping baby, I tried it. None of it works.
One day something suggested we sing them lullabies, I’ll admit it’s something I never thought to try before but to my surprise it worked , only there was a little twist to it. They love music and enjoy when I sing to them. Even though to be honest I’m not the best singer, I have to say I’m not very musical. I don’t spend my time listening to music and learning about new artists. I have my husband for that. I’m more of the creator so when it comes to a set song list I don’t have one. So I stuck with kid classics, but songs like ‘Old McDonald’ or ‘Twinkle, Twinkle’ just weren’t cut in the Katz home. I tried both of those on the boys and G just looked at me like I was nuts, Bodhi well he screamed a lot and even more during my go at ‘Old McDonald’. My best guess is they may have felt a little insulted by my choices. In the middle of Bodhi’s screams I started to drift off and began thinking about my time with my grandma. We used to have a show we watched together that was a pretty popular one. The Wonder Years, it was something special we shared together and all of the sudden out of no where I just started singing, off-key and horribly, I sang Joe Cocker, ‘With a Little Help from My Friends’.
What would you do if I sang out tune?
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song
I will try not to sing out of key, yeah
Oh, baby I get by with a little help from my friends
By with a little help from my friends.
All I need is my buddies
By with a little help from my friends
I said I’m gonna get by with a little
By with a little help from my friends
To my surprise it worked!! First Bodhi started with a smile and then slowly but surely he fell fast asleep. I teared up a bit because my grandma was a big part of my life, so having something special we shared comfort my little one really just gave me all the feels. Once I was able to get him down I tried it on G, and no bueno. Little man wasn’t having it, not the song for him. So I thought on my feet and came up with another tune. ‘Wanna be yours’ by the Arctic Monkeys. First I rocked him and sang, he liked that but still kept wiggling around. Finally I laid him in bed and rubbed his head and sang the song. Sure enough he was out. It happens to be our wedding song, it’s a humorous song with a romantic vibe to it. At the time it was all that popped in my head but now I’m glad it did because it is a really special song for us and I love that G loves it as much as we do.
I wanna be your vacuum cleaner
Breathing in your dust
I wanna be your Ford Cortina
I will never rust
If you like your coffee hot
Let me be your coffee pot
You call the shots babe
I just wanna be yours
Secrets I have held in my heart
Are harder to hide than I thought
Maybe I just wanna be yours
I wanna be yours, I wanna be yours
So if you come over our house around bedtime each night you feel find a mix of soul, british rock, old soul, even a little Motown and more recent pop for good measure. Below I’ve added a list of other tunes that we have also had success with!
- ‘Three Little Birds’ – Bob Marley
- ‘Golden Slumbers’ – The Beatles
- ‘Lean On Me’ – Bill Withers
- ‘Sitting on The Dock of The Bay’ – Otis Redding
- ‘At Last’ – Etta James
- ‘In My Life’ – The Beatles
- ‘You Can Close Your Eyes’ – James Taylor
- ‘Just The Way You Are’ – Bruno Mars
- ‘Love On Top’ – Beyonce
- ‘With a Little Help From My Friends’ – Joe Cocker
Is it just me or has it been particularly hard to get back into a normal routine. This holiday season has really knocked me off my feet, mentally and physically that is. Routine wise things have been running along smoothly but mentally I’m just exhausted and it doesn’t help that I’m still eating like we are at a holiday party (bad meg). So, what’s the first step? Admitting I have a problem, hi I’m meg and I’ve eaten left over Christmas cookies for breakfast all week. Okay now that I’ve gotten that out-of-the-way, I have to figure out a plan of attack. How I’m truly going to cut out my new bad habits. What better way for me to do that then….I’ll give you one guess….YES! You guessed it a list, my fav!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Shots: I’m a big fan of ACV, Sam and I normally take a shot every morning but lately its been a little more Presecco a little less ACV. Before we had Bodhi I would take one every day but what really messed me up was that I wasn’t allowed to keep up with it while pregnant. ACV is also a great way to curb your appetite and help keep you on track so, back to a shot of day it is.
- Waking Up Earlier: Certain tasks take me forever to accomplish in the morning. Either because I’m tried or one of the boys is awake. This makes it harder to cook myself a health breakfast, which in turn also makes it easier to justify that cookie. So hello 5 am you and I are best buds once again.
- Skipping The Coffee, WATER ONLY: I’m not used to two kids so in the beginning I needed all the help I could get. Now we are at a different point in this journey and I don’t really need it anymore. Mainly I just want it. I’m not saying coffee is bad I’m saying the coffee I order is bad. Trenta vanilla iced coffee, kind of bad. I mean do you know how many pumps of sugar those babes have, TOO MANY. So water/ infused waters made at home are the only thing this mama will be drinking.
- Rosie Water: I’m going to dive deeper into this topic as the week goes one. I really love infused water. I’ve always been a fan of adding a little lemon or lime here or there. While everyone was juicing in high school I kept it good for the soul and great for the body with lots of fruit/herd/veggie/tonic infused waters. So get ready for that later this week. But for now, I’ll leave you with my favorite energizing recipe. Mix 1 cup rose-water (here’s a recipe I previously posted if you’re unsure of how to make rosewater) 1 cup cut up watermelon chunks, and 1 lemon sliced. Let sit for 3 hours. Once it has been long enough get a strainer and remove as much of the fruit as you can. Enjoy!
- Less Whining More Morning Work Outs: Okay so remember those days I’d get up really early work out and then post my sweaty selfies. I do and I miss them. Sadly I didn’t realize just how hard it would be to get back into the gym with two. To the mamas out there with two that go to the gym weekly, heck even monthly. YOU.ARE.MY.HERO!!!!! For now I’ll be admiring you guys while I do Pilates and yoga at home. If you are able to go out and work out like the awesome adult you are then I suggest my go to work out Barre3.( <–Click for a Barre3 studio near you!)
- Less Meats More Veggies: I know personally I’ve eaten too many red meats this holiday season. When that happens I get all around slower. Which is why I usually stick to a pescetarian diet. But the holidays were to much of a temptation. Now it’s time to get back to it with a spicy little recipe sure to help keep me distracted!
– Bibimbap recipe –