This year I didn’t do Halloween, with zero time and energy for the occasion, finding a costume for myself became more of a choir than fun. So I opted out of it for this season. The boys have their costumes and that’s really all the […]
Month: October 2016
The holidays are always a fun time of the year, first we start with Halloween and work our way down to Christmas/Hanukkah. Of course we all want our homes done up for each occasion especially when you have little ones running around. Seeing the look of joy in their eyes as the house goes from scary haunted house to a replica of Santa’s work shop is enough of a reason to go all in. But there is one pesky little problem, MONEY and oh boy can it be an issue. The holidays change so rapidly is can feel like a waste to spend so much for one night. I know that’s how I was feeling at the start of the season. Halloween is a week away and I’ve put off my decorating for some time now. Normally the house would’ve been done to the nines come October 1st but this year was different. We just bought a home and welcomed our newest member into the family so our budget is pretty tight right now. So when I can I like to opted for a more timeless choice.
What you want to look for are those items that expire. In this case we are talking pumpkins. Every year I do the same thing I look for the prettiest heirloom pumpkins and I go crazy buying them. And every year the same thing happens, they last for about 2 weeks then they mold and it’s pointless. I mean I love Halloween just as much as the next basic lady but I don’t want to waste the money anymore. Maybe when both boys are eventually out of diapers but for now I’m good on that. So how to I celebrate without breaking the bank on pumpkins that won’t last? I invest in items that will! Last year I got glass blown pumpkins from Home Goods and they were a success. I only purchased colors that could translate and I was even able to keep them out way after Thanksgiving. Normally I always stick with Home Goods for such a purchase because I don’t want something tacky and cheapy looking. Home Goods has a knack for staying away from the tacky and leaning more towards stylish. Target is a good place for this as well, you have to remember that when you’re buying items like this that it’s an investment. So while they made be more expensive at first
Recently we indulged in a little home town fun, every year our town hosts a market day. Vendors from all over the area rent tents and show off their God-given talents. While walking the boys around we found the coolest little vendor selling pumpkins made with vintage and reclaimed fabrics and natural stems. I love interesting finds like this one. There was an amazing range from patterns, fabrics and colors which of course made it difficult to pick. To say I was in fall heaven would be an understatement.
Options for a more budget friendly look without sacrificing style below!
It’s that time of year again, the pumpkin spiced coffee, warm apple cider and lets not forget the hay rides and scarecrow festivals. It is the spookiest time of year and probably one of my favorites. It’s especially great when you have children. Building new memories and traditions with them, it really is exciting. What we do now will spiral into great family stories and fun times we laugh about together as they grow. There is one tradition however that I can’t share with them just yet. It’s one that was HUGE in my house growing up. Forget the pumpkin carving and hay rides, growing up, my family just wasn’t about that. You could even say, hat we did to commemorate the change in seasons might be frowned upon today. Horror movie marathons, yes my parents had us watching the thriller and horror section as early as four years-old (don’t judge). My favorite memory as a child was creating blanket bed on the floor of our living room, curl up with my stuff crust pizza and watch movies like E.T, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Monster Squad and so many other amazing horror classics.
Of course I don’t want the boys to grow up too quickly, but seeing as how it is inevitable that they do grow up, at least I have the bonus of knowing soon enough we can share one of my favorite fall tradition together! For now I will just wait till bedtime and make my husband join in on the celebration! I’m sure as we get closer to Halloween I’ll come out with a few more but below you will find a list of some of my tried and true favorites. A lot of them are great because they have sequels so be ready to settle in for a what could be an entire weekend of bingeing on a couple great horror movie marathons. Happy Haunting!
Tried and True
- Halloween – this one could take a while, not only are there several sequels but Halloween also has some pretty sweet remakes made by Rob Zombie.
- The Monster Squad – One of my all time favorites. It incorporates all of Halloween’s finest classic villains into one awesome 80’s classic.
- Alien – It is always great to throw a little Sci Fi into your horror marathon mix. A movie like this or even Body Snatchers is a prefect way to mix up the night.
- Byzantium – No Halloween horror movie marathon list would be complete without at least on vampire flick. This one is a favorite of mine, that’s all I’m going to say so go watch it! This or Dracula (1993) and you should be good on the vampire vibes.
- Goonies – I’m not even going to explain why. If you need me to explain why then you should already be watching it. Literally stop reading now and go.
- Wes Craven’s New Nightmare – A sequel to an original but still just as good.
- The Witches – This one is close to my heart, I’d watch this one every weekend I spent at my English grandmother’s house.
- The Conjuring (1&2) – CREEEPPPYY but a must.
- The Babadook – Personally I hate this movie, I hate it because it freaks me out so much I’ve only watched it once and once was enough for me. It was recommended to me by a friend who also shares a love of horror films. The film starts off slow and eerie but once it picks up watch out. I consider it to be a great staple to the list but you won’t catch me watching it again. A girl needs to sleep!!
- Rocky Horror Picture Show – I’ve saved the best for last and it’s another one I don’t think I have to explain. It’s a staple when we are talking about Halloween movies and it’s actually the first “scary” movie I ever watched at age 4 ( Good looking out mom and dad😂) . It’s more of a musically but that’s all I’m going to say because I’m not going to ruin it for those few who haven’t seen it. It is definitely too good to be missed.
I love a good flower arrangement. Maybe it’s because I worked in a flower shop or just the Taurus in me loving the beautiful luxuries nature has to offer. But when it comes to flowers I’m addicted. I follow several different Instagram accounts solely because […]