To keep up with my detoxing theme for the new year, I’m diving into a my New Year’s resolutions or life resolutions as I’ve named them. I’m not interested in doing the same thing we all do every year. You know what I’m talking about, so […]
To keep up with my detoxing theme for the new year, I’m diving into a my New Year’s resolutions or life resolutions as I’ve named them. I’m not interested in doing the same thing we all do every year. You know what I’m talking about, so lets just be honest. Every year after a few sips or champagne, we all sit around and start dreaming of the possibilities this new year could bring. Then day 1 of 365 rolls around and BOOM we cheat. Or a week goes by and you think, “Wow I’m doing so well, I deserve x, y and oh yea gimme z too.”and then there you are, it’s November 1st 2018 and you’ve been cheat eating your way through the year. So let’s not set ourselves up for failure, it’s too much.
Instead of discussing all the grand schemes of change, I’m going to try and focus more on things I should expect and accept of myself. For me, I want to start expecting myself to eat healthier. Now I’m not saying I need to loose weight or completely drop cheese steaks from my list of go-to’s. (never going to happen) But I will be expecting myself to not make the mistake of assuming every night we eat out is an opportunity to indulge. I can still enjoy my meal even if I pick the healthier option. I also want to start expecting myself to work with what I have instead of always needing to buy something new. I have what the experts call a shopping problem. It’s nothing I’m ashamed of. But with all the home improvements I want to accomplish in the new year, I think I need to start saving more and spending less.
On my list of things to accept, well I only have one, Myself. I am who I am and who I’ve always been. I think we could all do with a good soul searching Pinterest search on quotes for the new year! On another forefront I think social media can really affect the way we see ourselves. Especially when you’re a mama. Even though I think I’m doing a pretty great job at not comparing myself to other moms, even I sometimes find it hard to just be satisfied with who I am. In the physical sense, I want to be more present with my family and with myself. Focusing more on the things I love about myself and less on those things I think I “need” to change about myself and our life. Below you’ll find a little list of ways to start trying to accomplish more and stay positive!
- Peanut Power Protein Snowballs – I love these sweet little snacks. I am a big fan of sweets and I’ve used my love of peanut butter to help me stay full, while choosing a healthy option. Even better baking is a very relaxing thing for me which makes this both heath and fun for myself and the boys. This recipe is pretty simple and I’ve even managed to accomplish is in the middle of it all. Whether G was having a tantrum or Bo wanted a quick snuggle this 5 ingredient recipe is a breeze. All you have to do is mix all the below ingredients together and freeze for thirty minutes!
- 2-3 cups peanut butter
- A sprinkle or two of sea salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Drizzle of honey
- Blue Green Protein from Moondeli
- Being Present – This is something I’ve talked about before but it’s definitely worth a good reminder. We all lead busy lives and sometimes with that can come the need to shut your brain off for a while. I get it. But on an outing with friends and family isn’t that time. It will never be that time. I’ve seen it and I’m sure you’ve seen it too. You are out to lunch with a group of friends and at one point, maybe it is before or during, even after the meal. Everyone is just sitting there with their heads down scrolling through mindless content. Shouldn’t that be something we save for when we are alone? With so much time already devoted to social media, can’t we be more strict about when and where we put that time. I’m not saying I’m going to stop posting photos on Instagram or not share the funny things G says on my Facebook. But I can be more mindful of when I do it.
- Kids Reading List – Originally number 3 was supposed to be a list of christmas movies I love watching with the boys. BUT last night after we got home from an exhausting yet fun day at the Polar Express, Gunnar asked me to read him a story. By the 5th book the boys and I were a lot calmer/happier. It sparked something in me and I went crazy researching and scoping out all sorts of fun book options. I want the boys to know all about the world. From different cities to travel too or equality and individuality I think it is all important. You can find my list by clicking – here to see my book list! And you better believe there are pirate books on that list as well!
Y’all know I love to talk skin care and of course with the holidays coming up I’m all about giving skin care products as gifts. They are a great gift for anyone and in my opinion it’s a truly meaningful gift because we all want great skin but sometimes the price tags can be to high. I have to admit recently I’ve felt a little tempting to buy into a few brands that you yourself might see everywhere as well. Brands like Rodan & Fields, Work IT, Beachbody, etc. have been clogging up my newsfeed. We all have that friend, she’s got her side hustle going strong and she’s trying to sell you one of the above products. Let me be clear, before you continue reading, hats off to them because it ain’t easy having a side hustle, this mama knows that! And I’m not about to tell you to avoid these products or companies. Try them, use them, see if you like, love, or loathe them. Just because it’s an MLM doesn’t mean the products and services are junk. It all depends on you, we are all individual, so don’t knock it before you try it!
For instance when it comes to skin, I’m not going to say don’t use these products I haven’t done enough research and I haven’t even tried them. For two main reason, I do not agree with the “ingredients” (chemicals) they use in their products and they are too pricey for this mama of two. But that is my opinion, only you know what ingredients YOU as a consumer feel comfortable using on your skin, and what works for you might not work for me. So if you’re reading this in hopes that I’ll, “spill the tea” on MLM skin care lines, please look else where. Like I said I don’t use them which means, I can’t comment on them. Whether it’s because my skin is too sensitive for even their most sensitive of skin care lines or because they don’t meet my beauty standards…
- Euro Approved
But that doesn’t mean you can’t give them a whirl. Now, back to the good stuff. I have good news for those of you who, like me, can’t wear those products but want that extra luster. I have alternatives for you. I understand they are expensive you can’t even test them out before your use them. So don’t fret I got you, girl! I’ve put together a great list of everything from masks to skin serum that any skin care lover could hope for this holiday season. Plus you won’t have to break the bank every month. I’ve used most of these products daily and have been able to use them for 2 months or more! Now you won’t feel FOMO when your scroll through and see all those amazing before and after shots filling your feed!
To be honest, I do have one brand on this list that is considered an MLM and some of their products are pricey. Beautycounter, I’ve used the brand since it was sold at Target and was unaware until recently that they had fully made the shift over to consultant sales. Luckily I know a friend! Everything is under 50 with one exception, the Beautycounter Rejuvenating Day Cream. It is a god sent, but it’s a cool $73. I know, I know, that is a lot of money. But the first time I lathered this silky cream on my face I knew I didn’t waste a dime. So trust me it is totally worth it.
Products I Love
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing, 1 Pound
- Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado
- Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution 30ml
- Beautycounter Rejuvenating Day Cream
- FIG+YARROW Organic Facial Serum
- Beautycounter Charcoal Soap
- Well People Bio Corrector Concealer
- Fig + Yarrow Clay Mask Rose Rhassoul 1.2oz
- Well People Expressionist Mascara
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater
The Brands That Make Them
- Beauty Counter – Is a female founded business dedicated to giving consumers quality products. When they founder, Gregg Renfrew, found out that skin care products are NOT regulated like other products, she felt a need to do something about it.
- Well People – A premium non-toxic plant-based make up and skin care line that this mama is OBSESSED with. Shirley Pinkson, James Walker and Renée Snyder M.D. are the amazing team behind the plant-based line.
- FIG + YARROW – Founder Brandy Monique is all about sticking to the purist standards and you can see that in the products she makes. This is another company that again lists every ingredient they use with detail so check out the site for more!
- Mario Badescu – A company that’s been in business for 50 years, their mission statement is, “Simple, gentle, effective skin care”. When people in the industry were using anything and everything Mario thought, big picture and created a line that really cares for you skin!
- Kiehl’s – They’ve been in business for 165 years and in this skin care lovers opinion they’ve basically written the book on good skin care and the ingredients that go in your products.
Try your hardest to shop in stores and support your local businesses
I am a girl who loves me some good online recon. I search for the right price, color, and style that will suit myself or whoever I am purchasing from. But when it comes to the big purchase I try to keep it in stores, if I can. Ordering online can create a lot of waste (cardboard box, large invoice, bubble wrap). All that waste can be avoided if you just shop in stores. Also a lot of stores will honor those deals you find online. My suggestion, screenshot your deals head right up to customer service show them and see what they can price match or at least give you some sort of deal!
If you have to shop online be smart about what you do with that packaging it comes in
Now don’t get me wrong, I am a mama of two little boys so I fully appreciate the comfort that comes with online shopping. So don’t sweat it if you just can’t get away or just need to get that shopping done. When your packages come in be sure to open them with care. Take all the extras out and put your gifts back inside. Now wrap them! This will save you from having to buy boxes. And lets be real usually those boxes you guy don’t fit perfectly anyway. So you’ll be creating less waste while saving yourself some money. And who doesn’t love to save that dough!
Rethink that wrapping paper
Wrapping paper is such a waste and it kills me to have to buy it. So why not try recycled paper, your old news paper (I love the funnies), OR there is another option I’ve recently been using myself. FABRIC! Yes, fabric, obviously it depends on the size of the gift but you can get a couple good years out of reusing fabric. This will also save you lots of money. Think no more wrapping paper, no more tape. Even better now you won’t feel guilty buying those holiday themed scissors you don’t need, yet, somehow talk yourself into every year. Head over to JOANN’S fabric and check out their fabrics. They even have a great sale section. If you can’t get to the store try Amazon. This year is our fist year trying this one out but I couldn’t find any time to head to the store without the boys. Amazon of course had exactly what I was looking for and it even came in a box I could reuse!! Even better that themed picture you oh so wanted, can still happen with this or any of the other options!
For those of you with babies and early aged toddlers think, timeless and stop over-looking those wooden toys
Instead of purchasing toys made of plastic try to go for wooden toys. Wooden toys are a favorite in our home. They are durable and easy to clean up, most of the time. Sometimes they are even packaged with less waste. Melissa and Doug toys are amazing. They make creative toys built to last and the price points are great for anyone on a budget (this mama).
Giving and getting can go hand in hand
Now I understand for some baby toys will NOT fly. I get it we have a four-year-old and all of his friends are into superheroes, so although we’ve only recently gotten into the more “adult” like toys I know what you’re thinking. “My seven-year old isn’t going to down for a wooden truck”, no worries my seven-year old self would have laughed in my mother’s face as well. So how do you keep a balance? They want what they want and some can even feel heart-broken when they see it waiting . I understand, so instead of completely cutting out toys made with plastic take stock of what toys you do get for them. Keep a number in your head of how many they got this year. Wait a couple of days, when the magic of Christmas has died down a little talk with them. If you feel comfortable, explain to your little ones that not every child got a visit from Santa this year, suggest that since they received X amount of toys maybe they should give X amount toys away.
Let me start by saying I know how confusing that title was but it was literally exactly how I felt about this post. Recently there’s been some uproar in the blogger community about the all holy Instagram. Long story short, they’ve decided to screw over […]